How often do I receive my tax bills?

The Town of Montague has a semi-annual billing system for Town and District real estate and personal property taxes. The first bill is mailed on or about July 1, with a due date of October 1. The second half, or actual bill, is mailed when the tax rate is set, usually by December 31 or in January and due by April 1, or May 1. Sewer use bills are also semi-annual and are usually mailed in September and February.

What if I did not receive a tax bill?

Failure to receive your tax bill does not excuse you from payment of taxes, or from the interest and fees that accrue on the outstanding balance. A tax bill is generated and mailed for every parcel in the Town of Montague. It is the responsibility of the property owner to pay taxes regardless of the receipt of a bill. The bill is mailed to the owner as of January 1 of the previous year. New property owners will have their name added to the bill (indicated as “c/o” on the bill) if the Assessors receive the new deed from the Registry of Deeds in a timely fashion.

Can I make partial payments on my tax bills?

Partial payments are accepted on Town and District real estate and personal property. The Districts include Turners Falls and Montague Center Fire District, and Montague Light District. Partial payments are also accepted on sewer use fees. Motor vehicle excise and parking tickets must be paid in full.

Can I pay in one check?

Yes, if you are paying your real estate, district, personal property, and excise taxes or sewer use fees, all at the same time, you may add them together into one check. Please enclose your bills and please make sure you sign your check. Post dated checks are not accepted.

Do you accept postmarks for the date the payment is received?

Bills are considered paid “when received” and not when mailed. Postmark dates on envelopes are not accepted as the date of the payment. All payments are to be received by the collector by the due date. Payments received after that date will incur interest at the rate of 14% per annum.

What if my vehicle is sold or traded?

If your vehicle is sold or traded, you will need a bill of sale or trade-in documentation and a plate return receipt from the RMV. You will need a new registration if the plate has been transferred to another vehicle.

Bring this information to the Assessors office to file for an abatement.

What if my vehicle is stolen or declared a total loss?

If your vehicle is stolen or declared a total loss the Assessors require a copy of the police report or insurance settlement letter and a plate return receipt or C-19 form (Affidavit of lost or stolen plate from the RMV).