About the Finance Committee
Return to Finance Committee
About the Committee
- Seven members, appointed by the Moderator of Town Meetings. Three-year terms, no term limits.
- Voluntary; and members of this committee cannot hold any other paid Town office
- Makes recommendations to the Selectboard and Town Meeting regarding appropriations and other financial matters
- Responsible for a written report to Town Meeting explaining each year’s annual budget
- Authorized to approve transfers from the Reserve Fund
- Supported at Town Hall by the Town Accountant
About Finance Committee Meetings
- Typically held on Wednesdays in the upstairs meeting room at Town Hall. Start time is usually 6pm.
- We can only conduct business at public meetings where a quorum (4) of members are present.
- Agendas are posted at least two business days before the meeting time (often on the Thursday prior to the meeting date), on the bulletin board outside the rear entrance to Town Hall and on the Town of Montague website: montague-ma.gov
- Communication and materials to be discussed at meetings should be directed to the Town Accountant, who will forward them to the chair and/or the committee.
- Discussion at Finance Committee meetings is often informal, and visitors who wish to participate may do so with the chair’s permission.
- Most Finance Committee meetings are recorded and broadcast by MCTV (local cable channel 17) and archived online at vimeo.com/mctvchannel17.
- Minutes from Finance Committee meetings are published on the Town's website once they are approved (usually at the next scheduled meeting.)
Interested in Joining the Finance Committee?
We'd love to hear from you! There are currently no openings on this committee, but we enjoy getting to know potential candidates and we'd like to help you get oriented. Attending or watching Finance Committee meetings is a good way to get a feel for the time commitment and type of work we do.
Members of the Finance Committee are appointed by the Moderator. If you decide to apply for an open seat, you will be asked to submit a short, written letter expressing your interest and describing your qualifications. The Moderator will ultimately make a decision on your appointment.